Monday, September 24, 2007

Leena (Menon) Nair 92PMIR: among "25 Most Powerful Women in Indian Business"

HR High Priestess
FMCG giant Hindustan Unilever's first, and youngest, woman Executive Director is an HR ace.

Leena Nair
37/ Executive Director (HR), Hindustan Unilever
Education: BE Electronics and MBA from XLRI
Work Experience: 15 years
Career High: First woman ED at HUL
Hobbies: Bollywood movies, reading, outdoor sports and travelling
Success Mantra: Look for a win-win in every situation



It's a hat trick, in some sense. Leena Nair isn't just the first woman to make it to Hindustan Unilever's Management Committee (mc), but also the youngest Executive Director (ED) and that too one in charge of not a profit centre, but human resources. As the HR boss, Nair heads a team of 250 people who look into the well-being of about 15,000 employees across 70 different locations in the country, including 45 factories and four regional offices.

The 37-year-old Nair joined Hindustan Lever (as it was known until recently) straight out of XLRI, Jamshedpur, 15 years ago, and has risen quickly through the ranks. From being a factory personnel manager to management development planning manager to hr manager for the detergents business, Nair has been there, done that....

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Knowing HLL and XLRI personally(as I was with HLL earlier and XLRI PGCBM 9th batch student) Ms.Leena has demonstrated extraordinary leadership qualities for many of us to follow.

SUNETRA said...

I have known Leena since childhood...! She has demonstrated leadership skills since childhood. I am a working mom myself and understand the challenges of the corporate world and the struggle to achieve work life balance myself...three cheers!

Sunetra Desai-Chavan
USA

Shriprasad S Patil said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shriprasad S Patil said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shriprasad S Patil said...

Just the fact that she excelled in studies and extra curricular activities, inspired a lot of semi-urban students like us.
About the same time, my cousin too, who was my childhood icon, was a good student in an REC and later did his IIM. But it was Leena's talent, charisma and many other good qualities that has taken her here.
Now, when we( batchmates from school and College) all meet, we talk about Leena and as we go back to our work, we too progress rung by rung to leaps by our own standards and limits.
My only dream, in this age where politicians are changing policies, I wish that Leena using her great H.R experience, contributes a little bit to utilize India's vast poverty stricken manpower,to rise above. Sounds crazy, but in another 5-10 years, she can!!!!
Shriprasad
(hometown neighbor and batchmate in Jr.College)

Unknown said...

Leena was my senior in school and boy did we all look up to her. I was always in awe of her and tried to copy her in so many ways. Over the years she has always been on my mind and i often wondered what happened to her. When i saw her photo on the list of 25 most powerful women, i felt s o proud that this intelligent woman belongs to my scho ol and she nused to be my idol. Here's to u Leena, wishing u so much more sucess now and forever- Zeenath Khan

Unknown said...

I dont know or never met her earlier but as I read about her, I become her fan. I am also working in HR dept. since 14 years. I waiting when I will meet her and I need to spend lot of time with her. If she read this I request her to contact me through makaranddesai@rediffmail.com MS. LEENA, YOU ARE GOD FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!